The house at Saling Grove was built by John Yeldham in 1754. He was a prominent landowner in North Essex and was involved in the management of Guys Hospital, London.
In 1790, Humphry Repton (1752-1818), the last great landscape designer of the Georgian period, was commissioned to design the gardens and parkland. Repton's account book for 1791 notes 'Nov 5th & 6th Book maps and slides - £6.60' for John Yeldham, Saling Grove.
The estate was purchased in 1795 by Barlett Goodrich, a 'returning' Virginian. A descendent of John Goodricke (sic) who settled in Virigina in 1625, the family were amongst one of the earliest settlers.
Upon the breaking out of the American Revolutionary War (1775-83), the Goodriches found themselves on the wrong side by supporting the Crown. Notoriously they harried the colony's merchant fleet, operating in effect as privateers.
They were undoubtedly involved in the Battle of Chesapeake Bay that was a strategic victory for the French and the Americans. Consquently their lands were confiscated, members were put in prison, others including Barlett Goodrich fled 'returning' to England.
He extended the house at Saling Grove and made Saling Hall the dower house for his two daughters which he divided into two with two front doors!
With no male heirs, the estate was subsquently sold again and following the upheavals of the first and second world war the estate became much reduced.